I am a coffee addict and I need a cup of coffee first thing in the morning before I can face the world. I generally drink instant coffee which requires very little effort so when I was sent the OXO Good Grips Cold Brew Coffee Maker to try by the lovely people at OXO UK, I was intrigued to see how it would compare to my everyday cup of coffee.
Cold brewing is a method where the ground coffee is soaked in room temperature water for 12 hours. This has a different chemical profile compared to when coffee comes into contact with hot water. The minimum time you should soak the coffee is at least 12 hours, after which, you strain it and this liquid can keep for 2 weeks in the fridge. You can use it for hot coffee or cold coffee and takes the same amount of time to make as instant coffee using the syrup, it tastes better though!
It is easy to use as well as you only need a tiny amount every time, you can store it for 2 weeks and you can get approximately 13 servings out of the machine.
It can be used for iced coffees, hot coffees and desserts too!
The machine is so easy to use and needs minimal work. The first step is to put the coffee in the top with water. You leave this alone for a minimum of 12 hours.
The next step is to place the glass beaker underneath and flick the switch on. This takes approximately 20 minutes and the cold brew coffee will filter into the beaker and you can then transfer it to a bottle with a lid to store.
- 284 grams of ground coffee (I used Kenyan of course)
- 1200ml of water, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons cardamom powder
- 2 tablespoons cinnamon powder
- Pour the ground coffee to the brewing container.
- Add the cinnamon and cardamom and place rain maker on top.
- Pour the water over the rainmaker in a circular motion so it is evenly distributed.
- Leave this for a minimum of 12 hours. The longer the better.
- Once ready to strain, place beaker underneath and flick on switch.
- After approximately 20 mins, the beaker will be full of cold brew coffee concentrate which will have a wonderful aroma. You can enjoy this hot or cold!
- For either hot or cold coffee, 60 ml of concentrate is perfect. For iced coffee simply pour over cold water and a little bit of milk and lots of ice. For hot, 3/4 hot water and 1/4 milk.
You can also infuse the coffee with lavender syrup, chocolate, and lots of other flavours. The OXO Good Grips Cold Brew Coffee maker is so easy to use, clean and store away.
I love the flavour of the Cinnamon and Cardamom and really enjoy my cup of coffee using the Cold Brew Coffee Concentrate.
You can purchase it from OXO UK for £45 http://www.oxouk.com/p-1292-cold-brew-coffee-maker.aspx