A healthy, wholesome dinner idea using fresh vegetables, including a seasonal favourite, brussel sprouts. I love brussel sprouts and they taste fantastic cooked in soy sauce and rice wine vinegar. Here is my recipe:
Time: 1 hour
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups water
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons, crushed ginger
- 1 large carrot, chopped
- 1 green chilli, chopped
- handful of raw cashew nuts
- 1 large bowl shredded brussel sprouts
- 3 tablespoons dark soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons crushed red chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- Wash the rice in a few changes of water and soak for 10 minutes.
- In a saucepan, boil 2 cups water and add the carrots.
- Add the rice and boil on medium heat until the rice has absorbed most of the water. Approximately 10 minutes.
- In a wok, heat the sesame oil and add the onions and green chillies.
- Let this cook for around 5 minutes, then add the garlic, ginger, cashew nuts and brussel sprouts. Stir fry for around 8 minutes.
- Add the cooked rice and carrots and pour in the soy sauce and rice wine vinegar.
- Mix everything up really well and let this cook for a further 5 minutes, adding more soy sauce if needed.
- Sprinkle on the red chilli flakes
- Enjoy hot!
Any leftovers make a fantastic lunch box meal the next day too.