There is something special about double fried chips. I just love the crunchiness and texture. Spiced up, they taste even better and here is my recipe for a delicious dish.
- 400 grams potatoes, cut into chunky chips.
- Handful of cashew nuts
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mango powder (amchur)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Rapeseed oil for deep frying
- Fill a large deep saucepan or kadai 2/4 full of oil and heat on low-medium.
- Add the chips in batches and fry until cooked for about 6 minutes per batch.
- Place each batch on a piece of kitchen towel to drain off any excess oil.
- Once cool, re-heat the oil and fry the chips again in batches for another 4-5 minutes per batch, until they are golden and crispy. Dry on a kitchen towel again.
- In a frying pan, heat 2 tablespoons oil on medium heat.
- Add the cumin seeds and when they sizzle, add the cashew nuts.
- Let them fry for around 3 minutes and then add the sesame seeds.
- Now add all the spices and seasonings except the sea salt. Mix well for a few seconds and then add the chips.
- Stir regularly for around 3 minutes until everything is mixed well.
- Take off heat, sprinkle the sea salt evenly and enjoy hot.