I love asparagus and this recipe, which is my entry for the #CheekyLittleCookOff is inspired from a fusion of asian flavours and indian flavours. A quick but very flavoursome dish!
Cheeky Food Co., the brainchild of a fabulous mumpreneur Swati, makes a range of chutneys, pickles and sprinkles.
For this dish I experimented with the Tickly Tamarind, Nutter Coconut, Sesame Sprinkle and Pecky Peanut.
I wanted to create as much flavour as possible so this dish has a vast array of different taste notes ranging from the sweetness of the tamarind to the sourness of soy.
I further cheekily added Japanese rice vinegar and balanced this with honey and finally infused with ginger and garlic. Nom nom nom!
To intensify the asian flavour I pan fried the asparagus in sesame oil.
My favourite asian dishes usually have an element of nuts and seeds added to them.
I drew inspiration from this and garnished this dish with a selection of coconut, peanut and sesame sprinkles for that extra bit of ooomph.
Hope you enjoy my dish and don’t forget to give it a like on Instagram at @binnys_kitchen or on Twitter at @binnyjs to give me a chance to win! Cheeky I know :p But this is a #CheekyLittleCookOff after all :p
- Asparagus (10-12)
- 2 tablespoons Sesame oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
For the sauce
- 2 tablespoons Tickly Tamarind sauce from Cheeky Food Co.
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon Japanese rice vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
And for the indian in me:
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon Silly Sesame Sprinkle from Cheeky Food Co.
- 1 teaspoon Nutter Coconut Sprinkle from Cheeky Food Co.
- 1 teaspoon Pecky Peanut Sprinkle from Cheeky Food Co.
- Heat the sesame oil in a griddle pan on medium heat and add the chopped shallots and asparagus.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl whisk together all the ingredients for the sauce.
- Pour 3/4 of the sauce over the asparagus and keep stirring gently.
- When the asparagus is slightly charred it is ready.
- Take off heat and place on a plate.
- Pour the remaining 1/4 sauce on top of the asparagus and garnish with the assortment of sprinkles from Cheeky Food Co.
If you would like to purchase any of the chutneys, pickles or sprinkles from Cheeky Food Co. they are available at Selfridges or online at http://cheekyfoodcompany.com