Methi (Fenugreek) leaves are such a delicious and healthy way to spruce up a curry and my favourite is to have it with paneer. Cooked in a gravy made from cashew nuts it is utterly divine. Perfect dish for a fancy dinner as it is really tasty!
- One chopped red onion
- One chopped green chilli
- One teaspoon crushed ginger
- One teaspoon crushed garlic
- 30ml water
- 1 tablespoon oil to cook with
- Half a cup cashewnuts soaked in hot water for 30 mins
- 1 cinnamon stick
- A couple of bay leaves
- 3 cloves
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 2 tablespoons oil
- A cup of chopped fresh methi leaves
- A handful of crushed kasoori methi leaves
- A cup of cubed paneer
- 1/2 cup cream
- First prepare the cashew nut paste by pre-soaking the cashews in hot water for around 30 mins. Then put in a food processor and blitz till it is a smooth paste. Add a bit of water if you need to.
- Now make the onion paste by cooking the onion, garlic, ginger and green chillies in a tablespoon of oil on medium heat for around 20 minutes. Add the water in.
- Now take the onion mixture and put aside till it cools down a little in a bowl.
- Once cool, blitz this onion mixture in a food processor so it becomee smoother.
- Now heat oil in a kadai on medium heat and add the cinnamon stick, bay leaves and cloves.
- After around 3-4 minutes add the onion mixture and cook for around 10 minutes.
- Add the turmeric, red chilli, cumin powder and coriander powder and mix and cook for 2 minutes.
- Now add the methi leaves and 60ml water and let this cook for around 3 minutes and then add the cashew paste.
- Add some more water if you need to so it has the consistency of gravy.
- Cook this for a further 3 minutes and add the paneer cubes in.
- Add the garam masala and salt and cook for a few minutes.
- Now add in the cream and kasoori methi leaves.
- Put the lid on the pan and let this cook on low heat for around 5 minutes and this is then ready.
- Serve with naan or rotis.